Children In Nepal
Children are future of tomorrow, nation’s future leaders and citizens. Children are now facing many hurdles which is due to prolong poverty, social beliefs, gender discrimination and illiteracy. We need to nurture, educate and guide them to the right path for development of the nation. One of the most important aspects is to develop literacy rates of children population. Though significant improvement has been towards girls’ participation in literacy yet improvement in quality of education and other areas of development like in health and reducing child mortality under 5 need attention.
Situation of Children in Nepal
According to CWIN National and Information Center.
- The child mortality rate of children below 5 yrs. of age us 61 per 1000 birth.
- The infant mortality of below 1 yr. if age is 48 per 1000 birth.
- In Nepal, the neonatal mortality rate is 34 per 1000 birth.
- Children who are physically disabled constitute 1-8 percent of the total population.
- Out of all marriages, 34 percent are child marriages.
- There are approximately five thousand street children in Nepal.
- Every year 27,000 children used to die due to diarrhea but now it is 24.000 in a year.
- There are twenty-six lakhs child labours in Nepal.
- 1088 children below 19 years of age are infected by HIV.
- Children have contributed 6 per cent of Nepal’s total domestic production
- Twelve thousands Nepali girls are sold in India every year.
- 40 percent (Thirty-seven lakhs ninety thousand three hundred and fifty-seven) of children are suffering of malnutrition and are affected by diseases through it.
- There are approximately forty six thousand three hundred and nine consume drugs. Among them 21.6 per cent between ages 15 and 19 use drugs.
- 35 percent of children’s’ birth registration of the total population in which 51.29 % are boys and 48.71 % are girls.